Ready for your next big challenge?
We’re looking for someone spectacular - a Database Engineer to join us on this once-in-a-lifetime, "take no prisoners" journey that increases the productivity, value, & revenue potential of dynamic fan data for Sports Teams, Leagues & Federations around the globe. Review the key responsibilities, ask questions, look deep inside yourself, and if it seems like a match, let’s hop on the phone and get to know each other.
"Great - but what is Pumpjack Dataworks?"
Pumpjack Dataworks (PJD) has developed a data platform tuned specifically for the Sports industry, to extract and refine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party data sources and optimize it for clients to understand who their fanbase is, and generate direct & indirect revenue streams. We're already working with top tier teams such as the Dallas Mavericks, Philadelphia Eagles, Inter Miami CF, ATP, Hong Kong Rugby, Williams Racing, World Table Tennis, and plenty of others.
We've closed a successful investment round, have multiple investments from industry leaders, and are rapidly marching toward a Series A. We're gearing up for this rocket ride and are looking to bring some top shelf talent along with us.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, NoSQL, Graph and ‘big data’ technologies.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and cloud provider regions.
- Create data tools for analytics team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Advanced working knowledge and experience working with relational databases, non relational databases, graph databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience in a Database Engineer role, who has attained a Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field. Ideally they should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres.
- Experience with graph databases, including Neptune, Neo4j, etc.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Athena, Glue, etc
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Kinesis, Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
We require a small project to start with that should take ≤ 24 hours. We want to ensure we are a good fit and that you are setup to succeed before we invest in each other.
What we offer
- Opportunity: With a small, core team of talented people, iterating and scaling fast, you’ll be hands-on and learning right away.
- Location: We have two amazing offices - Dallas and Fort Worth, but offer remote opportunities anywhere in the US or Canada
- Culture: We strive to be welcoming and inclusive. As a core team member, you’ll be active in recruiting decisions ensuring we build a culture you want to be part of.
- Salary: A competitive salary with stock options.
- Benefits: Option to join a Health, Vision and Dental benefits plan with growing benefits as the company is growing. For contractors, insurance benefits follow a probation period.
- Time-Off: Flexible PTO
- Sports Access: We offer opportunities to meet with professional sports franchises and engage with some events (live and virtual)
Please note: Individuals must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.